WELCOME!!!!

I finally decided to have my own blog to give an insight about me and to get your thoughts.
I will try to keep this blog as updated as possible.
Don't hesitate to let me know what you think of this blog.

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Do you define a true sportsperson just by mere scores?!

“Participation is more important than winning..!” this quote is the one which I have heard a million times during my schooling, and I am sure almost each one of us has heard this n number of times in our life.

Being in sports throughout my life, I have learnt that nobody should be obligated to win. But one should definitely be obliged to keep trying. But now, you are obliged to win otherwise you are no-where. Sad but true, you are not remembered to have participated but remembered only if you are a winner. But it’s often forgotten that there are times when even Tendulkar got out on a duck.

Winning is what matters to everyone otherwise why would they only retain the score but not your game?! I am hurt and devastated because I always believed that the important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle, the essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well. The important thing in sports is not so much winning as taking part. The important thing in life is not victory but the battle. Of course, to have conquered feels great but the essential thing is not to have conquered but to have been a good loser. By participating in various games and sports, we learn something from it. I have learnt that and I have experienced it.


Participating in a sport in which you are not good, but participated for the fact that the team needs you, is the sign of a true sportsperson. I have experienced it. Taking all pain to form a team just because you want to represent your team is the sign of a true sportsperson. I have experienced it. Sometimes, I didn’t emerge out as a winner. But I participated and was recognized. My game was recognized. I have experienced it. Taking part in an event just because the event would get cancelled otherwise, is the trait of a true sportsperson. And I have experienced it. Participating gives one self-esteem and I have experienced it. No two people can come first, so even by coming in last, remember you finished your goal regardless, as long as you finished so, coming in last. So one has to be proud. I am proud because for me it’s an accomplishment though others can’t see it; I can always feel the joy of triumph because I can’t let one bad moment spoil a bunch of good ones. 


Playing a game is never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy and I have got that joy. I have always tried to be true to myself and pick those battles I felt were challenging. It’s an experience and learning and I have experienced and learnt from it.


I'm thrilled, I'm grateful, I'm blessed. I played all the sports I have dreamt of. My ultimate responsibility is to myself and I have achieved for myself. There are two options ahead of you. Quitting and daring. Quitting is easy, but daring is hard. I have dared. Dared to loose, dared to triumph, dared to succeed. I do not go with mere scores.. but I am a winner.. a winner in my own way.!


True sportsperson never quit and i am a sportsperson. Once a sportsperson, always a sportsperson.. Cheers to every true sportsperson and to the never dying true sportsman spirit.!







No comments:

Post a Comment